Hans Koch has quit his carreer as a recognised classical clarinetist to become one of the most innovative improvising reed-players in Europe. He has been working with everyone from Cecil Taylor to Fred Frith since the eighties. As a composer he has shaped the sound of Koch-Schütz-Studer since the beginning as well as working for radio-plays and film. Since the nineties he has been working with electronics as an extension of the saxes/clarinets as well as with sampling/sequencing/Laptop. As a reed-player he is always working on his very own vocabulary and sound, which makes him a
– 1985 Awards as the best soloist at the Lugano-Jazzfestival.
– 1986 Award of the “Kulturpreis from the city of Biel”.
– 1987 Six month-stay in New York from the Kanton of Bern.
– 1991 and 1996 Contributions from the Kuratorium Aargau.
– 1995 Three month-stay from the city of biel in Kairo.
– 1998 Composition Comission from Pro Helvetia.
– 2000 Six month stay in London (Kuratorium Aargau)
– 2002 Received the Berner Film-Musicprize for the Bieler Film “2002”.
– 2002 Composed the music for Swisscom film “Empire of Silence” .
– 2003 Received the Berner Musicprize.